A wedding is a grand event for any couple. There should be an amazing cake, delicious menu, lovely decorations, no objection on your union, and yes most certainly the perfect wedding photographer making the event a phenomenal affair. Every wedding has its own story. Therefore, the right wedding photographer is highly essential to capture those priceless and unrepeatable moments.
There are different styles of wedding photography these days. You can either opt for any specific ones or create a unique wedding album with a right blend of all three. No matter what you're looking for, take your time while picking the right wedding photographer. A wedding photography requires artistic vision, talent, and professional technical expertise to ensure and be able to capture those precious moments. Below is a list of different styles of wedding photography, and a brief comparison between them.
Classic or Traditional wedding photography
The conventional form of wedding photography is characterized by posed groups, staged pictures and portrait shots and there would be lots of "hold still" and "say cheese" directions from the photographer. Traditional wedding photography ensures pure attention on the bridegroom, looking at their best with expert posing and careful lighting. Classic wedding photography is considered to be the safest option since these snaps are preplanned and shot after a conscious effort ensuring that those typical unforgettable moments like the exchange of your bridal rings, kissing, signing on the marriage register, cutting of your bridal cake or walking down as the blessed married couple together, all are perfectly recorded. For all these traditional wedding photography has a timeless appeal and is a must on every wedding, no matter how trendy the couple is.
It's also known as reportage wedding photography, which literally means, "to report". Photojournalism wedding photography captures your entire wedding event in its utmost natural form. Here the wedding photographer has to blend with the entire background and record the snap without any conscious efforts from your side. Photojournalistic wedding photography has earned a huge fan following since the last decade especially because of its realistic approach to record the true spirit of the wedding occasion. Rather than concentrating on the fixed poses, reportage wedding photography tries to capture the underlying romance, story, emotion and all the interesting and priceless behind the curtain scenarios of the specific occasion. However, while choosing a reportage-wedding photographer, be careful since this style of wedding photography demands lightning fast response and years of expertise to make a worthy capture. Thus, be certain about his angles, style and moments to check his compatibility.
Artistic wedding photography
Artistic wedding photography is highly popular these days, especially among the fashion conscious trendy couples. This latest option is based on a highly fashionable approach inspired by the elite fashion magazines like Elle, Vogue, American Photo, etc. Here the photographer's task is to create larger than life fantastic wedding photography where your romantic interplay would be glamorized to the maximum expression. Artistic wedding photography does not require much interference from the photographer since it does not seek to pursue perfection while taking the shots. It involves special computer effects on your wedding photography providing it with the "wow" factor found especially on the style magazines. Here, half of your snaps are by the camera work and digital editing creates the other half. Thus, this form of wedding photography demands high-end artistic talent and vision behind a camera as well as superb computer image manipulating or editing expertise to bring out the distinctly exclusive photographs.
Comparing these 3 styles of wedding photography
- Traditional wedding photography is solely based on the preplanned conscious poses with continuous interference from the photographer. But the other two wedding photography options follow little or no interference. In fact, hard core photojournalists are entirely opposed to the idea of posing for any of the wedding events.
- Again, the artistic photographers are basically trying to create exclusive fantasy snaps rather than the regular ones by the classical and photojournalistic approach. Thus, unlike these two options, fashion wedding photography requires a lot of computer skills beyond the mere camera work making it the costliest and specialized approach.
- Traditional wedding photography, unlike the other two, is a must for every wedding event since wedding is still considered to be a formal occasion. The senior members prefer it since it does not capture any private or awkward moments and can be safely displayed on your drawing chamber. But, the other photographers get mixed with the backdrop and can capture some of the private most or embarrassing events of the day which you surely do not want any third person to see.
- The classic forms make sure that your every precious moment is recorded and that too with the perfect pose. But the other two approaches do not ask for any conscious participation from your side, and thus can even miss out on some of the highly memorable aspects.
- Traditional wedding photography is sometimes considered to be boring since the stiff poses tend to look artificial at times. Besides, it's also time consuming as several poses have to be tried out to achieve the perfect look. But, reportage photography is done on the spur of the moment so that the snaps reflect the true representation of your wedding essence.
- An added care has to be taken while choosing a fashion photographer or a wedding photojournalist since both the approaches require specialized skills in comparison to the classic option.